Accelerated Master's Programs

The Department of Linguistics at Georgetown currently offers several different Master’s degrees that can be obtained through the Accelerated Master’s Degree Program:

How does it work?

  1. The accelerated Master’s program allows you to work toward finishing your Bachelor’s degree and starting a Master’s degree at the same time, saving both time and tuition dollars. You apply for the program in the fall of your junior year, and are notified of an admissions decision that spring. If you are accepted into the program, some of the Linguistics courses you take will count toward your Bachelor’s degree and some will count toward your Master’s degree, subject to the requirements listed below. (Upon hypothetical admission to the program, you will meet with an advisor to determine how your courses will be allocated.) Upon completion of all the requirements for the Bachelor’s degree, the Bachelor’s degree will be awarded. Upon completion of the requirements for the Master’s degree, the Master’s degree will be awarded.
  2. The accelerated Master’s allows you to double-count two courses for both the AB and MS/MLC degrees, thus saving you six credits of graduate tuition. These courses must be graduate-level courses (numbered LING-350 or above), and must be taken in the junior or senior year. In most cases, "Tier III" courses required for the Linguistics major will meet these requirements and can be double-counted. However, you need to plan ahead to make sure you take two courses that can double-count in order to satisfy particular MS/MLC program requirements.
  3. It may also be possible to apply up to two additional graduate-level Linguistics courses to the accelerated Master’s degree. These courses must be above and beyond those required for the AB (both Departmental and College requirements, i.e., 38 courses/120 credits). This may come about if you enter Georgetown with some AP credit, take summer courses, or take more than the normal course load some semester(s). In general, you will need some early graduate credit of this sort if you are to actually finish the Master’s in your fifth year. As with the double-counted courses, courses designated as applying to the Master’s degree only must be numbered 350 or higher and must be taken in the junior or senior year.
  4. Students in the accelerated program must meet all the coursework and other degree requirements for the Master’s program to which they have been admitted (MS/MLC). Please consult the Graduate Student Handbook for particular program requirements. Credit for coursework can be earned through a combination of double-counted courses (6 credits), courses above and beyond those required for the AB degree (up to 6 credits), and courses taken after the AB degreee has been completed. There are two exceptions to the coursework requirements:
  5. Students pursuing an accelerated MLC or MS in Computational Linguistics may not choose the 24-credit option.

Application Procedure

  1. This is an honors program. Linguistics majors with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5 both overall and in the major are eligible to apply for the program.
  2. You should discuss the program with your advisor and/or the Director of Undergraduate Studies. You will need to fill out the regular Graduate School application by the application deadline of your junior year (typically January 1). To download application forms or to apply online, please go to the Office of Graduate Admissions website.
  3. The application consists of: the completed application form, your transcript, 3 letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and a writing sample. You do not need to take the GRE.
  4. The Linguistics Department will review your application and send its decision to the Graduate School. Accelerated Master’s applications are reviewed in the same pool as all graduate applications.
  5. The Graduate School gives final approval and notifies the student of the decision in March. If you are accepted, you will need to work out a detailed plan of study with your advisor and/or the DUS, and both the College and Graduate School deans will have to be notified about which courses are being double-counted and/or withheld from the undergraduate transcript.

Please contact the Director of Undergraduate Studies or the individual concentration heads in the Department of Linguistics.