The Department of Linguistics at Georgetown University is able to accommodate a limited number of scholars in the Visiting Researcher Program on a selective basis. Please review the admissions procedures and guidelines below. For more information, please contact our Department Chair, Dr. Elizabeth Zsiga.
- Preference is given to senior scholars and researchers, with permission granted occasionally to junior faculty or advanced graduate students pursuing dissertation research at other institutions.
- All of the information requested below must be provided to the Department of Linguistics a minimum of three months before you wish to arrive on campus.
- Identify an academic contact related to your research in our department. See the University directory for Linguistics faculty names, areas of expertise, and research interests.
- Apply by contacting the Department Chair with the following information:
- Outline of your proposed research
- Possible faculty sponsor
- Requested period of visit measured by semesters: Summer (June-August), Fall (August-December), and Spring (January-May)
- Curriculum Vitae
At this point, the Chair will reach out to the proposed faculty sponsor to determine interest and availability. If the proposed faculty contact is interested in pursuing this opportunity, we will ask you for further information, including sample publications and letters of recommendation.
If you are accepted to the Visiting Researcher Program, you will need to complete the application process. Please check the following URL for how to proceed: https://maincampusresearch.georgetown.edu/application-procedure-for-visiting-researchers
When all materials are received, the Graduate School, in consultation with the Department of Linguistics, will make a decision on acceptance of the applicant and designate an academic contact for accepted Researchers. The Office of Global Services will work with accepted Researchers on visa matters.
- Researchers are provided with a University identification card, the use of theGeorgetown University library system, a GU e-mail account and internet access through the University's system. Because of limited space, neither offices nor computers are made available. However, the library does have computers that are available on a limited time basis.
- There is a facilities fee of $1,000 per semester for the Department of Linguistics and $400 per semester for the Graduate School. Payment of the fee is expected in the form of a check or money order, made out to Georgetown University, and paid in full at the beginning of the Visiting Researcher's affiliation. Payment of the fee is necessary to obtain access to University facilities.
For arrival information and other resources for Visiting Researchers please click here.
For further information, please click here or contact:
Visiting Researcher Program
attn: Ms. Lesley Sebastian
Georgetown University, Office of the Provost
Main Campus Academic Appointments Office
Office of the Provost, Georgetown University
3307 M Street, N.W., Suite 202
Washington, DC 20007
Telephone: (202) 687-2866